Tuesday, June 16, 2009
A good steam facial can open up your pores and let out impurities. As a weekly at-home spa treatment, it could be what you need to achieve a glowing complexion.
1. Turn on the hot water until you see and feel steam.
2. Stand with your face in or close to the steam for about 5 minutes.
3. To enhance the results, you can use a drugstore face mask such as Clean & Clear (Soft) In-shower facial that works with the steam of your shower in one minute.
1. Boil half a pot of water on the stove.
2. Turn the temperature down halfway or until the bubbling goes away.
3. Put your face over the pot and drape a towel over your head to hold in the steam for a half hour. It can be infused with herbs, petals, or essential oils for a more healing tonic.
Be sure your face has no traces of visible makeup, dirt, or oil. It might be advisable to do a quick once-over with a washcloth or use a remover wipe. Use a face cleanser immediately afterward to remove the impurities while your pores are still open. Rinse with cold water to close your pores and seal them.
During/after steaming all the underground bacteria will be brought to the surface of your skin, so do not panic if it looks worse. Blemishes might be more noticeable for up to an hour after patting dry. Just apply a spot treatment for now.