Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Need to know that your Vet will look after your pet well when they are sick? The best solution is to find a good vet in advance before you need one, to make sure that you feel happy that they will provide the best care for your particular pet.
Ask others in your area of their experiences, word of mouth recommendations are very valuable as they are not biased and you are more likely to get a true appraisal of the abilities of the vet and the practice in general.
Approach local Animal Shelters and animal clubs who will have experience of many different vets.
* Not all vets can be judged the same this is because some vets practices specialise more in one type of animal than others. This is especially true in rural areas where the bulk of the vets work may be with larger farm animals. It is important therefore to compare several vets and to find out as much as possible about their individual experience and knowledge with the care of cats.
* When visiting and comparing different vet surgeries you should have already prepared a set of questions to ask. These questions should include:
* Opening times, important if you need to have flexible access to your vet, for instance evenings and weekends.
* Fees – find out their standard consultation fees, also their fees for standard treatments such as vaccinations, worm and flea treatments etc.
* Emergencies – what are the arrangements for out of hours emergency care for your cat, for instance do they do home visits?
* Alternative medicine – find out what their attitude is towards alternative and complementary treatments for your cat, such as homoeopathy and acupuncture. Holistic treatments such as these can have many benefits especially in the older cat.
Never be afraid to ask a vet what their experience is in the treating your particular breed of pet. This may be especially important if you have pedigree show cats for instance that may require specialist care. In which case making sure that the vet you choose is up to date with all the latest medical advancements in cat care would be a benefit.
* Once a suitable vet has been chosen, you will need to discuss with them your cat care and what their recommendations are for the inoculations etc over the coming year. The types of inoculation required will vary depending on the particular risks in your geographical area and also the age and medical history of the animal. As a general rule the program for treatment are:
* Nine weeks – first vaccination
* Twelve weeks – second vaccination
* 16 weeks – spaying for female cats
* 4 – 6 months – neuteringfor male pets.
* 6 months – first flea treatment then monthly thereafter
* Every six months – worm treatment
* Every year - booster vaccinations and check up
* The yearly check up carried out by your vet will include:
* Checking for parasites and mites, your vet will look in the ears for any signs of infection causes by mites etc and will brush the fur around the neck area to check for flea dirt’s.
* Teeth – the vet will check for gum disease and any loose or bad teeth. You may notice them scraping the teeth with their fingernail to remove any plaque build up.
* Weight – many vets will weigh the cat and keep a record of this. Often loss of body weight and condition can be one of the first signs of an underlining illness.
Skin has many important functions in our body . The Skin is also the largest excretion organ, eliminating bodily waste through its pores. Having a good daily skin care routine is very important to the health of your skin and essential step towards having a good complexion. Its oily glands secrete sebum, which maintains the elasticity of the skin’s surface. One of the most necessary things for any person is skin care. Developing a skin care routine improves the look and maintenance of your skin, your body''s largest organ. Take a good look at the way you are taking of your skin daily. Skin requires water, vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, proteins for its cells as much as your inner body needs them for a proper metabolic function of its organs.
A natural and organic treatment for the skin has the same importance for your inner health as a natural and organic food. Toning is an important step in the daily skincare routine because it removes any lingering impurities or greasy residue and helps balance the pH of the skin. The sunscreen is the most important aspect of your skin care regimen. Choose a daily moisturizer with UV protection and get two benefits in one. Avoid moisturizers with sunscreen built in at night. Facials are usually done in salons. Exercise keeps the nutrients pumping through the system to keep up your energy and, best of all, it releases endorphins - a great stress reliever.
Moisturizers seal in surface moisture and help keep skin soft and supple. Natural ayurvedic moisturizers contain herbal extracts.
Choose is finding a moisturizer or lotion that has a SPF or UV protection built in so that you can get two benefits from one application. Regular cleansing is important and when done properly. Exfoliate is a also use for skin care. Over buffing will over-stimulate and cause irritation to the skin. There are several active ingredients that have been clinically proven to be effective skin rejuvenators. One of the most effective treatments is vitamin A derivatives such a retinol or retinyl palmitate. Facials are usually done in salons. Never wash the face with hot or cold water. Luke warm is best. Don''t cleanse the face too much. Many people find they can minimize with a splash of water to the face in the morning.
Skin Care Tips
1. Eating the right kind of food can do you more good than any medicine.
2. Honey applied under a dry dressing every two or thee days promotes rapid healing of ulcers and burns.
3. Avocado oil used regularly is an excellent skin softener.
4. Vitamins are essential to the health of your skin, especially vitamins A, B,and C.
5. Vitamin E is especially helpful to improve your complexion when applied externally.
6. For pimples Apply a mixture of turmeric and neem on the face.
7. For black spots Make a paste with mehndi and oil and apply on the face
8. For growing add a pinch of yeast with 2 teaspoon of cabbage juice and apply.
9. For oily skin, apply a mixture of grapes, lemon and egg white. Leave it for 20 minutes and rinse with warm water.
10. Apply the mixture of honey and milk on the face.